Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 05:59 #1

Hey everyone,

Been lurking around for the last few days and wanted to thank you all for such great insights! It's helped me narrow down my search and focus on the right things.

Here are my stats
Age 29
Sex Male
Height 5' 10"
weight: around 170
usually sleep on back sometimes roll to side in night but almost always go to bed on back and wake up on back
Budget: about $2K-the cheaper the better but willing to go higher if it will be enough of a difference in comfot

I'm mostly looking at latex, but have tried a few other options and in all but one, I have the same issue. My butt doesn't sink down enough so there is a pressure point there and then not enough support under the lumbar area. When I tried softer options, there wasn't enough spinal support so once I got my butt to sink down to the point of getting some lumbar support, I was completely out of alignment.

Here's a summary of the top 3 I tried in order of preference

1-Felt absolutely perfect! Royal-Pedic all latex with 7 zones-I don't know the ILD numbers for this but it was made from one layer of Talaly and had 7 zones. It felt like it fit the contours of my body perfectly, and even being quite firm i felt weightless on it, no pressure points at all. Only problem is price is $4k+tax, which is more than double what I was looking to spend.

2-Organicpedic Duo $2600+tax-Think its dunlop, not 100% sure. Tried this option with a Firm base layer, Firm Mid-layer and medium top layer. Also switched the middle layer to medium, didn't notice too much difference. This option was quite good but had a bit of a pressure point under my butt. It was the least pressure I've ever felt from a mattress in that area with the exception of the Royal-Pedic, but I would prefer to eliminate this.

3-Berkely Ergo-Stockholm $1900+tax-This has an inner spring core, another spring layer, than an inch of latex. Tried the soft top which was still slightly firmer than the other 2 options above, but fit pretty well. I'd say this was very close to the Organicpedic Duo.

Since the options I like are a bit higher than I can afford, I was thinking of trying to get equivalents from either sleep ez or flo beds.

1. Flobeds vZone-$2900- has 2 layers of talaly core, then a zonal layer of talaly and a convoluted topper. Goal here would be to replicate the feel of the Royal pedic and save about $1,400

2. Sleepez 9000-$1750-3 layers of talaly, probably similar feel to the organicpedic duo I tried out. Only problem would be the pressure point under my butt, not sure that it can be accomodated without zones. This option would be best since it would be $1k cheaper than going the flobeds route.

I live in NYC so I am not able to try the flobed or sleepez. Do you think going with the sleep ez would produce a similar feel to the organicpedic, and has anyone else gone with an sleep ez and been able to fix a pressure point like i mentioned?

Thanks!

Last edit: by sfs244. Reason: more detail

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 10:09 #2

The EZ9k while having 3 layers it is two 3" thick layers and one 2" layer, plus the 1" for the cover for a total of 9". The DUO is 10" I believe so if you really want to know the difference you should probable get the specs for the layers.

Personally I would call SleepEZ and ask. They may recommend the EZ10k. I did cross shop them with the Pure Latex Bliss since that was the only latex bed in my area which we could test.

FWIW I wouldn't expect an exact match but a close approximation. There are just to many variables within latex that has the same level of firmness since S, M, F, all have ranges within them and thickness of the individual layers will also impact feel.

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 12:43 #3

Hi sfs244,

There really wouldn't be any exact equivalents because the designs of all the mattresses you are looking at are different but you can read a little more about the different ways that one mattress can "match" another one in post #9 here .

In terms of quality/durability ... any mattress that used the same type and quality of materials would be comparable but this would have nothing to do with the feel and performance of the mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you are trying to match one mattress to another in terms of PPP then if the layers or components of each mattress are different you would need to "translate" one design into the other which can be a very subjective and intuitive process. The best way to do this would be to first find out the specifics of a mattress you are trying to approximate (you would need to know all the quality specs and the comfort specs of all the layers and components and some of these may not be available to you) and then have a more detailed conversation with an online manufacturer about which of the options they carry they believe would come closest to the mattress you were using as a reference point for your body type and sleeping positions (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ). They will know more about matching their mattresses to the needs and preferences of their customers or how they compare to another mattress where you know the details of the design and materials inside the mattress than anyone else.

Both Flobeds and SleepEz are members here which means I think highly of both of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

I live in NYC

Some of the better options and possibilities I'm aware of in the New York City area are listed in post #2 here .

Last edit: by phoenix.

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 19:12 #4

Thanks Km, you are right, the 10k is closer. I called up Sleep Ez and Shawn was extremely helpful.

I got a chance to try out the Pure Latex Bliss today and wasn't crazy about them at all. Not sure why but they just didn't provide enough pressure relief for me.

Last edit: by sfs244. Reason: added info

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 19:28 #5

Hi sfs244,

Just out of curiosity ... which of the PLB mattresses did you try?

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 19:28 #6

Phoenix,

Many thanks for your guidance, your wisdom knows no bounds!

I was very impressed with the reviews I've read on here of both companies, and my conversation with Shawn at SleepEz made me feel much more comfortable with the idea of buying without trying first. He was extremely knowledgeable, and friendly.

I tried Clean Bedroom and Scott Jordan and found both of them to be very knowledgeable and professional. Learned a lot, and got to feel some of the differences between talalay and dunlop, etc. Clean Bedroom seemed to be on the higher end of the spectrum, there were only one or two options I could afford.

I guess my main concern wasn't trying to replicate anything I tried exactly, my main concern is making sure whatever I end up ordering provides the right balance of pressure relief and support.

I had the chance to try the Savvy Rest with soft, med, firm all dunlop, and it worked pretty well. I do prefer the feel of talalay though, and Shawn had some good guidance regarding that.

Going to go to a few more stores and decide. If i could get something locally I would prefer to, but haven't found the right value yet. I don't mind paying a small premium, but so far the premium to ordering from SleepEz is around 40% for what seems to be a very similar product.

Thanks again

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 18 Apr 2014 19:34 #7

Hi sfs244,

That makes good sense to me. Using your local testing as a reference and guideline can be very helpful but using a specific mattress as a specific "target" can be much more difficult unless you can duplicate all the materials and components.

Based on feedback from people who have tested Savvy Rest, the SleepEz mattresses with the same type of latex and combination of layers would be very comparable.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 23 Apr 2014 08:21 #8

Just out of curiosity ... which of the PLB mattresses did you try?

I'm actually not sure. The store where I tried those did not have tags for the mattresses and I never bothered to ask the guy since I wasn't crazy about it.

I was going to go back to the store to try them again, but when I realized the guy quoted me $2900 for the Savvy Rest which goes for $2450 on Savvy Rest's website, I figured I'd rather not deal with that store.

Last edit: by sfs244.

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 23 Apr 2014 08:24 #9

I ended up ordering the SleepEZ 10K and should be getting it on Monday. I got the Queen with Soft, Med, Firm 100% talalay.

Will follow up and let you know my impressions once I've had a chance to try it out.

Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez 23 Apr 2014 11:51 #10

Hi sfs244,

Congratulations on your new mattress :)

You certainly made a great choice and it will be interesting to see how it feels to you compared to the mattresses you tested. You are certainly in a much better budget range compared to your reference mattresses and best of all you still have good options to do some fine tuning if you need to.

I'm looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2022 The Mattress Underground